Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Horowtiz (Album Review)

Album Review


S/t
(Self Released)

Often when I am reviewing bands / singers etc I can listen to a CD usually a few times and quickly write a review of what I feel about the CD.

Not so Horowitz, Horowitz are one of those sorts of bands / projects etc which take repeated listening before you can begin to think up of a angle or a way you can write about them in relation to their sound etc.

Formed just below Birmingham, UK by a former member of The Mittens and Japhy Ryder (recently interviewed by Setting Sun) working in tandem with a member or two of the excellent Trilemma, Horowitz seems almost a merging of Trilemm's cinematic yearnings with The Mittens / Japhy Ryder lo fi indie pop with a healthy dose of humour threw into the mix.

Songs like "Audrey's Post It Notes" are a perfect example of their sound, which the first time I heard had me thinking “eh”, but then upon second and third listening made me realise the irony and the laid back ness that was there which is counter balanced nicely with more laid back tracks like “Eskimo” (which is also available on the excellent complitation CD “The Joy of Incompetence Vol 1” which for some reason made me think of a gentler version of “Hood”.

This is a interesting little 7 track mini album, which certainly bonds well for the future and could well prove to be a project / band to watch out for in the future – which considering I know the band are currently recording a new album at the moment I will certainly look forward to.

God only knows how they would do some of it live though…

Nice Stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home