Sunday, August 14, 2005

D:Percussion Review 06/08/05

D:Percussion 06/08/05

Festivals are always funny things. They
always vary from gigs as always you will
get with gigs, a kind of hush and respect that
only exists in tiny little bars, and even when
the crowd clearly ain't listening, the band
usually have a chance still of making themselves
heard.

Festivals however are much more difficult and different
as bands have to keep interested thousands
and thousands of people literally, which is
great if it works and can prove a nightmare
if not.

Manchester's D:Percussion festival has been
going for a few years now certainly, operating
on a free open door policy, where anybody can
come along and watch whatever bands / artists they
have on offer.

I'd been to this on more than a couple of
occasions over the years and had seen it incredibly
busy more than once or twice.

But this year was something else altogether,
with seemingly three or four times more people
than there was last year, and it was a struggle
to get to the main stage, let alone sit down
and listen to the band / artist.

I arrived mid-afternoon to meet up with my
pals which in hindsight was a terrible move
as I had to literally fight my way through
the entrances and on several occasions
actually get stuck in almost a grind-lock
listening to some bloody awful rapper or
dance DJ.

By the time I got to the main stage to meet
my friend, "Fear of Music" were playing and
their talent really reflected their age which
looked on a whole no more than 14 or 15 - raw
and truth be told sounded like a third or fourt
rate Muse, but given their age perhaps in time
they will develop, as if my memory was correct
Ash orginally formed when they weren't that
much older.

After that, we saw "Working in a Nuclear free city"
who aimed for the sound being passed nowadays
by Mogwai or Godspeed you Black Emperor, which I
quite enjoyed although my mate thought they
were terrible.

We ended up then fighting our way to the acoustic
stage, where the crowd was a little more
sparse thank goodness, where we saw a nice little
duo called Sam and me, who did a pleasant Simon
and Garthuncl impression before some bloody
awful rock band came on who thankfully I
can't remember the name off, who did the most
terrible sound I'd had ever seen since I suffered
The Darkness at In the City a few years before
(long story there which I'll repeat another day)

Thankfully they weren't on that long, and just
after Jane Weaver came on, who I hung around to caught
a few numbers who did some nice
countryish numbers, perhaps reflective of Mazzy Starr
before then rushing off to try and caught a DJ
set by Sonic Boom (Ex Spaceman 3) before giving up
owning to the anal nature of the crowd there, although
it did sound incredibly powerful.

So it was then back to the main stage where I managed
to caught the second half of the set by The
Durruti Column. The Durruti Column are one of those
sorts of bands who have been around for years and years
- 1978 or so, I think and despite the fact they have
never really managed to have any major hits or anything
and managed to keep on producing a nice steady flow of
mostly instrumental guitar led albums which at their best
can be delicate and haunting.

This set however was very different with Vini Reilly,
the main man of the Durruti Column launching into songs
that were more Jimi Hendrix than the delicite beauty
I used to know them for.

However, either way it was powerful, powerful stuff led
brilliantly for example with the last song, when Vini
left his drummer, Bruce Mitchell and their Bass Player
(whose name I didn't caught) to finish off the song with
a awsome making double drum solo.

This was inprobably followed by "Raw T" who were Tony
Wilson (Ex Factory and also Durruti Column's) new signing
who were a five or six piece rap band who I have read Tony
Wilson calling poets, but franklu all I heard was the usual
American cliches and crap, which is a shame considering
Manchester is capable of so much more and better ie. Mc Buzz
B / Ruthless Rap Assaisns.

After that, Stephen Fretwell came out to the stage twenty
minutes early, which I know caught a number of people out
judging by the people flocked over halfway or towards
the end of his set.

I must admit I thought he was okay but little more though
I did enjoy his last few songs in particular as they went
close to Dylan territory, although he can sing a hellof
a lot better than that.

As he finished his set, it then became apparent when he
had finished early when he announced a surpise guest, Badly
Drawn Boy who walked on stage with a borrowed acoustic guitar
and harmoimum and said since he was comigng down here today
it was only fair he played a few songs and the crowd as it was
went wild.

Truth be told, although he played well he possibly made a error
playing two new numbers, and the crowd lost interest, though
I did enjoy it.

Sadly I went after that, though I did hear bad reports later on
of the headline "Domino's Bones" which are Bez (Ex Happy Mondays)
's new band headlining which was a strange choice to headline
as the band have only played a few gigs, let alone released
anything of being pretty crap.

All in all, a odd afternoon to be honest, and in hindsight one
I found pretty flat really mostly owning down to the anal nature
of the crowd and the over expansive alochol prices (3 pound for
a bottle of beer - HONESTLY) almost put me off wanting to go
here ever again, although next year is always a different ball
game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home