Wednesday, November 16, 2005

General Letter Part 2

15/11/05

General Letter Part 2

Dear all;

Thought I would split this letter into two parts as it was getting quite long..

In other news, as hinted at in a note from two days ago, I am currently away on holiday in Cyprus for a week to visit my lovely friend, Evi.

I’ve known Evi for a long time now since 1999, when I first wrote to her through a FB (Friendship Book) and we both seemed to just carry on writing. It was never a profical letter writing friendship as both Evi and me both lived (and still do) incredibly busy lives, so I only tended to hear from her perhaps twice a year.

Then at the end of last year, I discovered Evi had MSN Messanger and we both really, really clicked and one thing lead to another and before I knew it, she had arranged to come over to visit me in Manchester.

I’m sure I covered this before, but we had a great time in Manchester and I offered there and then to visit her in Cyprus towards the end of the year – perhaps at the end of September / Start of October.

This got delayed until the middle of November and oddly enough it fell on 13 – 20 November 2005, the week after I left Dane Housing.

Cyprus itself, I’ll admit to you for nothing is a small country that is probably not much smaller than England but in contrast to England, it has a total population of probably no more than 8,000 people.

On the Cypritian side off I (which is responsible for just over two thirds of the island) is split into 5 major cities, of which I saw 3 – Paphos (which was the city I arrived in viva the airplane) and where Evi met me. On that first night, it was a case of driving down to Limssaol where Evi lived.

Over the next few days, Evi showed me the sights of where she lived. “Limassol” is a lovely, relaxed city. “Nicoisa” which is the capitol of Cyprus and also the city that is still partly occuptioned by the Turkish.

Now this is a interestinf rarity as I think it is the only capital in the world which is split into a border like Germany’s Berlin was with one half ruled by the Cypritian people – one half ruled by the Turkish people (who tried invading the country in 1974).

She also showed me the delight of Cypritian delicestens (Bakeries) where I can honestly admit I tasted such delights as Mango (Pumpkin) Pie, Olive Pie an various forms of cakes – some of which I hadn’t tasted before for example “Flauna” and others which I still don’t know what they are.

What did surprise me was the amount of shops that were in England but could also be found in Cyprus – Marks and Spencer being two but other, smaller shops of Next, Starbucks and of course McDonalds and Burger King etc.

I think after that I went to Brazil I was still expecting things to be as different as what they were.

But the world has moved on of course.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home